Friday, June 27, 2014

The Line Up

The Line Up, 12x24, oil on canvas.

This painting took a little longer than I expected.  My idea was to do a painting of these little T-Ballers with all their funny little gestures.  That's what I focused on and that's what I had but it just didnt feel right.

I added a faint, greyed green in the background as I was advised by other painters but it then became a landscape and that was NOT what I wanted.  The green PUT them on a playing field.  It was far to telling for my original idea so I painted it back out.

In the end, what I found was clear and obvious.  I dont know why any of us didnt pick it up sooner.  The original foreground was primarily Transparent Oxide Red with a bit of yellow.  It was competing with the uniforms terribly.  Once I realize what was happening, it was an easy fix.

I actually keep a check list in my studio that I got from an instructor several years ago.  I rarely refer to it anymore but that may change now.  Check for competing colors is on that list.

I bring this up for any painter who may be reading this.  Maybe it's only me, but after all these years, some of the basic issues still creep up and cause a little grief.   The good news is, I'm getting better at catching them.. eventually.  :)

No comments: