Thursday, December 19, 2019

Making Sausage.. ?




I was recently asked if I labored my strokes or in fact, painted quickly and left each stroke as it falls off the brush.




It' might surprise you to know I usually start with a relatively tight painting, putting it all in place where I want it, finding my darks and lights, my strongest color and my muted tones.




That's when I reassess my painting and let my brush fly!  Sometimes I smoosh through edges until they disappear entirely and bring back the areas I want strong.  

It's a back and forth, smooshing and repainting until I'm happy with the result.

Do I labor over brush strokes?  Mostly no, sometimes, yes. 
But when you're in the zone, it's a labor of love. 


What is NOT a labor of love, at least at this point, is my photography of my artwork...  😠👎 
Getting those nasty sparkles and glares out is a constant issue with my chiaroscuro pieces.  I'm going to be experimenting with a new product next week to see if I can produce a better image.  Until then, it remains "a work in progress".  The finished painting and image of said painting will be displayed when that experiment succeeds!   😏
via GIPHY

No comments: