Friday, February 09, 2024

Stoic


Stoic, 15x30, Oil on Canvas, NFS

 It's been a while since I've done a figure or portrait. But sometimes something comes along that inspires me to jump out of my comfort zone. This man was one of those somethings. 

The setting: last March at the Wester Art Week in Great Falls, MT. I had my booth set up in the Four Seasons Arena with the Legends West Art Show and all was going well. I look up, and from down the aisle came from a man dressed in full minuteman costume (which was my best guess). I couldn't NOT look at him. It wasn't like a Halloween costume. It didn't look like make up or a wig. It looked like he stepped out of the past. 

This guy had a certain strength/determination that was good fodder for a painting.  What an opportunity.  So Husband took his picture with his permission, the man meandered down the aisle and I finished the show. 

 I percolated on this subject (pre painting) and decided my soldier represents a "keeps to himself" kind of guy. The guy who "keeps on keeping on" without fancy medals or ceremonies. I decided he was dignified and of historic significance. I created a little backstory for him.  Sketchy and historically incorrect, I'm sure but it suited my purpose.  Which was my concept.

Resilient people set a good example for us.  They're role models. They inspire us to do better.  Be better.  We see them on TV, read about them in magazines (yes I still read print material), and of course come across them on social media, i.e. FB.  We watch videos and it gets in our heads and we aspire to be better, like them.  All good stuff.  

What if a painting could start conversations about the unconventional heroes in our lives? The husband who gets up and goes to work every day to provide for his family. The single mom who works full time and still has healthy, grounded kids. The artist who goes into her studio day after day telling stories with her brush. LOL!

Can a painting prompt us to acknowledge the strength and grace of those around us? Do people even acknowledge that there ARE other people around us anymore?  Weird times, today.  Stop the selfies.  Ask someone how their day's going. Ask them what's new.  Find out something you didn't know about them.  Because if you don't ask, they probably wont tell you.  Because those quiet hero types don't focus on themselves.  

Remember:

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, Those Who Remain

We need strong men. 

And women.  




No comments: