Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Garlic 1

Garlic 1, 6x6, oil on canvas.

I read David Leffels book "An Artist Teaches" and I can truthfully say, he does.    It was inspiring and educational.  What more could I ask for?


Mr. Leffel shares a life of painting experiences and knowledge.  The only thing better would be attending one of his workshops.  Which I may.  The book was that good.  I actually received it as a birthday gift as part of a 3 book set:

David A Leffel's Self- Portraits
An Artist Teaches 
Sherrie McGraw's The Language of Drawing

I have not put a lot of time into sketching and drawing until I read Sherrie McGraws book, The Language of Drawing.  That too was so inspiring that I picked up my drawing supplies and began my first self portrait series (pretty funny looking portraits!).  Self portraits are great because the model is cheap.  Hopefully, I can work out the kinks before I sit down in front of an actual, real model! 


It seems as though there is a never ending supply of information on painting and drawing.  When I think I've read all there is to read on the subjects I end up learning something new.  And then I have to escape to the studio to see how it pans out.  I have two new books coming this week - possibly today!

Oil Painting Secrets From a Master Linda Cateura (Author), David A. Leffel (Contributor)

Ancient Wisdom: Emerging Artist: The Business Plan (not just) for the Mature Artist by Sue Favinger Smith

No comments: