Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Onion Study 1

Onion Study 1, 6x6, Oil on Canvas, Click to Bid

I was talking with an artist friend about staying motivated in the studio and the topic of weekly challenges came up. A challenge, called "The three amigos" happened to be near the top of the list on the Daily Paintworks site so we decided to give it a try. 

The challenge is basically to paint with 3 colors and white. My knee jerk reaction was to go with TOR, Prussian Blue and Yellow Ocher. That didnt pan out. I tried but I could not make it work with the subjects in front of me. Prussian can be a little hairy to work with anyway but I generally LOVE it with TOR. Not so much with Ocher. It wasnt happening. 

So... I went with TOR, Yellow Light (Utrechs yellow light which is deeper than the others, I think) and Ultramarine Blue Deep. And white. 

The result was a harmonious little painting that has the qualities I look for. Quiet. Meditative. And just enough "POP" but not an explosion. :)

I think I'll be doing more of these little challenges. I found myself experimenting and working through a few failures to SUCCESS!

No comments: