Monday, January 11, 2016

Twiggs Studio Original Oil Painting Stump Study Orange

Stump Studies Orange, 8x6, Oil on Canvas, Sold
I realize this is not an entirely new concept for a painting. Many artists have done the partially peeled fruit and successfully so, I might add. But it's new to me and I wondered if I could pull it off (peel it off? ). 

I wanted to keep the props organic (a new trend for me) and for some reason I've bonded with this stump. It's been in my studio before. I'm familiar with it and I've used it as a prop in recent years so now it's relate-able, I guess.

Anyway, how to get the composition from the bottom of the canvas where the little orange segments are to the top where the rest of the orange is - was the goal. The trailing peel was a workable solution. And a really nice one if I may say so myself!

I'm really happy with the way it turned out and I am excited to do more of this partially peeled fruit thing.

No comments: