Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Sunshine




Sunshine, 6x6, oil on canvas.

Late last summer I found 3 baby birds hopping back and forth along my fence line outside my kitchen window.  Fortunately, I had the forethought to grab my point and shoot camera and start clicking away.  Unfortunately, pictures taken through a window and at a distance make for shakey reference material. It is what it is.  I took a few artistic liberties, framed them lightly and hung them as a grouping.  So sweet!

A side note:  It turns out that reference material is just that... reference.  One does what one will.  That is to say, some may copy inch for inch, others refer to and take many liberties.  I prefer the later when using a photo.  In fact, I extend the "liberties" liberally when painting from life as well.  It is, after all, a painting that I'm making - not a photo!

My reference photos, cropped, enlarged and on an 8x10:

No comments: