Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Breakthrough



Breakthrough, 12x12, oil on canvas.

New year,  new challenges.  Every year my husband and I put together a list goals for the upcoming year.  Resolutions?  Not really.  Just putting something in the cross hairs so we don't fly aimlessly through the year.  A path but certainly not a concrete path.   A little direction I suppose. 

 My challenges for this year strangely resemble last years challenges to the effect of: time in the studio, blog posts..  blah, blah, blah. This year I added a few cheat notes that I read on the  Oil Painters of America Blog .  Here is a list from that post (Technically, this is a subcategory of "The First of Three Elements of One Artist Goal Plan".  Also, I hope I'm not infringing any copyrights by listing them here)  Please see the link above for expanded info and full blog post.  It's quite interesting.
  1. Get better
  2. Painting from life and on location
  3. Seeing better as an artist
  4. Continue developing a critical eye
  5. Expanding my boundaries.
As far listing these as goals, "get better" and "Seeing better as an artist" is a little vague for me.  How do I put a check mark by that?  Also #4 is a little weak in my opinion.   I think I need something less abstract.  Something I can measure without question.  Something like, "enter a show".  That's something I can do - or not do.  And by Dec 31st of 2014 I can either put a check mark by it or not.

Vague or not it provided me with some sound, encouraging direction for my 2014 painting year.  And he (Roger Dale Brown, OPA) provides us with a little insight as to what each subcategory looks like.

I particularly like the quote he added with which coincides nicely with my yearly goal of time management.  I pasted it below:

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan ‘press on’ has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
- Calvin Coolidge
 

So, persistence will be a subcategory for my 2014 goal plan under "time in the studio".  In fact, I may just print off a copy of this quote and put it next to my easel. 

No comments: