Thursday, January 15, 2015

Daisies

Daisies, 8x8, Oil on Canvas, Click to Bid

So there I am in my studio wondering what to paint, what to paint.... And I come across some photos I took of daisies. I'm thinking, hmm.. these look fun.. and relatively simple.. I think I'll add a dark, atmospheric background for mood though. And I think perhaps waft some of that atmosphere across the petals. 
And now, dancing between light and dark, warm and cool, I found myself in some murky waters trying to balance the direction of the light, the direction of the composition and the planes in which the petals fall.
I turned my "relatively simple" project into a complex equation fit for an MIT student, or so it felt. Yikes.

I thought it was done three times before finally signing it. But to be honest, I actually like challenges like this - when I really have to pick my own brain. It's rewarding to see how minor changes can make big differences!

*****
My studies and sketches are now for sale along with my finished gallery pieces. If you would like to be among the first to see what's up for grabs from my studio, join my list here:




No comments: