Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Original Oil Painting Stormy Pansies


When they are fresh, I paint as many pansies as I can before burn out.  As usual, I focus on light.  Where I want it and how much do I want it there.  It should be noted , I am supremely influenced by our weather here in the PNW and that may have (did) influence my palette and consequently the light.   Early spring can be that way around here.  Wet, stormy, drizzly, cloudy, windy.  Little if any sunshine.  Maybe enough to mow the lawn once a week if I'm lucky.

All that said, when I was midway through this painting I began thinking about Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven....  Once upon a midnight weary...  and so on.  With all that and it being relatively dark outside even at noon, due to the storms, this was the result.

Frankly, it's one of my favorites.  :)

No comments: