Wednesday, April 04, 2018

Original Oil Painting Poof Pansies

If you've ever had baby powder you know what Poof is.  Give the container a little squeeze and watch the atmosphere haze up.  In creating the glow around the pansies I was preoccupied with that memory.  Essentially, I was poofing baby powder with paint - not literally, of course, but that was certainly my mindset.  :)

Creating a glow or atmosphere or mood - that's foremost in my mind when I'm painting.  When I first started painting I was all about painting "things".  Paint the apple.  Paint the pear.  Whatever.  All that gave me good practice with some essential elements such as paint, medium and brush handling.  

But the more I learned, the more I learned I needed to learn....?  Yep.   

Concept is everything at this point.  Sure, I try to start with a good representation of my subject but once I have that established ( to my liking) you might be surprised by my next move.  

A bigger brush and edge obliterating.  Yep again.  Once I have my elements in place (speaking as a general rule of thumb, not exclusively) I find hard edges that need softening or even all together losing completely and go at it with full abandon with brush in hand and no holds barred.  Followed closely with color smooshing and, conversely, dashing pieces of paint in contrasting temperatures for effect.  Some thick paint, some thin paint...  VOILA!

Sometimes, I just think the painting is better off left alone.  That is rare though.  

With POOF  I mingled a little this and a little that but focused on getting that powder explosion behind the pansies.  I really had fun with that.  

How much is too much?  How far can I go?  If I dont overplay it I havent gone far enough.  The end.  I overplay.  It's what I do.  

I dont take a lot of risks these days.  I get my taxes done on time, I dont eat any grapes on my way to the check stand, and I use cruse control on those long rural roads.  HOWEVER,  when I'm in the studio, 
"I am the master of my fate, 
      I am the captain of my soul. " 
(Invictus BY WILLIAM ERNEST HENLEY) 

Whatever happens, happens.  I'm the author of success as well as failure.  It's all on me baby.  :)

No comments: